How to Make the famous Dominican Easter dish “Habichuelas con Dulce”
The creamy dessert made of red beans and sweet potatoes is a must for any Dominican Easter meal. Do you know how to make it? Office Manager Berenice Franco from our school in Santo Domingo reveals her secret family recipe and shows you how it’s done. These are the ingredients you need:
1 pound red kidney beans
2 cans of coconut milk
2 cans of unsweetened condensed milk
2 cans of sweetened condensed milk
2 cups of milk
1 cup of sugar
3 sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of butter
And this is how it’s done:
Or Watch and Like the Video on our YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/0uv0Ch_7iJU
- Rinse beans well.
- Then put the beans in a saucepan with about half a liter of water. Add salt, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, and the sweet potatoes. Cook over medium heat until the beans and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Set aside a few of the sweet potatoes. Put the rest of the mixture in a blender and puree it, then pass it through a sieve and remove the solids.
- Back into the pot, add coconut milk, raisins and the milk and cook the creamy beans for another 10 minutes over medium heat. Stir regularly so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn. Add milk if necessary. Add the sweet potatoes again briefly before finished.
- Allow the cream to cool to room temperature, put it in the fridge and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Or enjoy it hot straight when cooked.
- Decorate the cream with raisins and milk biscuits before serving.
¡Buen Provecho! Enjoy your Meal!
Happy Easter from all of us here at IIC Spanish School in the Dominican Republic